Crispy chicken wings with peppers and onions are a takeout classic that has been underrated for far too long. If you’ve had it before, then this guide will show you how to do it better and cheaper than maybe even your favorite takeout joint. If you haven’t tried this winning combo, then why not establish a quality baseline by making it yourself? This easy to follow, step by step guide will give you all the equipment, ingredients, and techniques necessary for these awesome wings.
Here Is What Your Are Going To Need.
- A good, sharp knife.
- A cutting board.
- Some tongs.
- A wooden spoon or plastic spatula.
- A nice deep frying pan, or better yet, a wok.
- A wire rack.
- 8 whole chicken wings.
- 1 clove of minced garlic.
- 1 teaspoon of red chili flakes, or cayenne pepper.
- 1 teaspoon of Asian style five spice powder.
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
- 1 teaspoon of white wine vinegar, or rice wine vinegar.
- Half of a green bell pepper, chopped.
- Half of a red bell pepper, chopped.
- Half of a white onion, sliced.
- Canola or peanut oil, for deep frying.
- Wok oil or peanut oil, for stir frying.
Here Is How To Make The Dish.
1. Heat the frying oil over medium high heat. Use enough to just cover the chicken wings.
2. Rinse the chicken wings, and pat them dry with paper towels.
3. Place the wings in the oil using the tongs and fry them for about five minutes, or until golden brown or crispy. Set them aside on the wire rack to cool. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. You can either use extreme care to strain out the frying oil to reuse later, or use a different pan altogether to stir-fry.
5. Heat a little oil in your stir fry pan over medium high heat.
6. Wash and chop the garlic, onion, and bell peppers and throw them in the pan with the five spice, chili flakes or cayenne, and the vinegar. Stir fry everything for about two minutes.
7. Re-introduce the chicken wings and continue to stir fry until the onions and peppers reach your preferred level of tenderness.
8. Serve with your preferred side dish: steamed or fried rice, noodles, french fries, you name it. Or just eat these crispy pepper and onion wings straight up, it’s your call.
The great thing about stir fry methods is that any recipe is just the jumping-off point to create a unique dish that is an expression of your personal taste and cooking methods. You can use whatever vegetables and seasonings you like: go Thai style, honey barbecue, Buffalo style, or make up a new flavor sensation to take the world by storm. The sky is the limit, you can even invite friends over for a ‘throw down’ style cook off!